Sunday, November 7, 2010

Baa baa black sheep



I am making progress with my sheep project. It's much slower going than I would have thought! My crack-like sunflower seed addiction is definitely not helping.

I took a break this afternoon and saw my "Little Sister" R. today. We went to the Roslindale Open Studios, which was surprisingly rewarding in some weird way. When I was driving her back home, I asked her what her favorite artist or favorite artwork was. She said "the guy who made furniture". This surprised me, because she was mostly flipping through the stacks of photos while we were at that house, which was shared by a photographer and a furniture maker. I was the one asking the guy how he inlays tiny strips of wood into his tables - she was showing me the photos she liked. We looked at many photos together, but only one chair, so I thought she wasn't interested or paying much attention to his work.

My favorite was the 83-year old man with the neck brace on who took her by the hand and brought her to another room to show her his easel and his palette and how to take cheap brushes and cut them into whatever shape you need while stuffed birds and stone buddhas gazed down at us.

Just goes to show you, you never know what a kid is paying attention to or what is making an impression on them. Maybe it was just that the furniture maker had apple cider and Oreos for the taking.

My mother is always surprised by what I remember from when I was a kid. It's never what she remembers. Right mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment